Sonntag, 26. August 2012

Sleeping habits

I am one lucky guy who almost never has problems to sleep well. Often it's to short but I fall asleep very well and don't wake up often. But, because of the short time I sleep, I was tired often. And I realized that even when I sleep enough, I'm still tired in the evening.

Reading from many people that they get up very early I thought about giving it a try.


Past

Last year I used to go to bed between 0 and 2 a.m., getting up between 6 and 8 a.m. There was a hard time when my daugther (then 1 1/2 years old) decided to wake up at 4 a.m. refusing to sleep any longer. As my girlfriend a I are sharing getting up with here, there where days I slept 2 hours. This year I took a first shot at this, forcing myself to go to bed at 0 a.m. This really helps, mostly because I'm more rested and perform better.

Weekends are not much different although when it's my time to sleep longer I can get up at 9 or even 10 if I'm really tired.

Present

So I read about all these people getting up really early and thought I could give it a try. So after comming back from holiday last week, I got up at 5:30 a.m. every day while going to bed around 11 p.m. (not a hard limit till now, still figuring out what's best here). First thing I noticed: It felt great to get up on my own instead of beeing waked by my daughter and having to get up with here. I'm also surprised that I'm not very tired in the morning.

The second thing I noticed was that I am not tired in the evening anymore. Of course productivity changes through the day but I feel like it's not half as bad as it was. And then there is this awesome feeling when it's 7 a.m. and you already got some work done.

Future

I have to play around with times a bit. I want to try to get up even earlier and see what happens. I think I can also work on the length of my sleep, varying from 6 to 8 hours and seeing what works best.

I want to develop some rituals when I'm used to getting up early. I don't know yet what it will be and this will of course involve some testing. I heard good things about meditating first thing in the morning.

When I'm done experimenting, I hope to be more productive, use the 24 hours I got every day better and be more happy. Let's see if it works! If you got any suggestions, resources or comments, just hit the comments below. Thanks!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen